September 12th 2005 – Mail anyone?
My first day of work on the job contained few surprises. The people I work with are all great and each laidback in their own way. The minute I walked in I was swamped with a huge mail bag and asked to sort it by floor. Not having any clue of the people who worked here or where the departments were, the first thing I was given was a map of the floors I’ll be delivering to and the respective departments within. By the third run, with a little help from my trusty map, I was flying solo although a little awkward as the stereotypical ‘mailboy’. The following day I was introduced in part to the security network, which I found out later in the week has fallen a little out of date and which they expect me to cleanup in my spare time. My three daily runs went smoothly and by the end of the day I didn’t require my faithful sidekick map nor did I feel self conscious about my deliveries and actually began enjoying the social aspect of circulating through all of the departments and not being stuck at a desk all day. Not having changed jobs in the last seven and a half years, I really enjoy the change and for the rest of the week looked forward to being trained in all aspects of the job. Whether for regular courier pick ups, deliveries or plumbing maintenance, light bulb replacement or ceiling tile insertion, I did it all. The week flew by. Wednesday night, Laure and I went for a barbeque with our flat mates to a park in Pyrmont. Although it was quite some hike, we really got to know some of our roommates better. Some of the highlights of the evening were hearing about our new friend Josie’s awkwardly honest comments when she traveled through


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home