Thursday, September 22, 2005

September 22nd, 2005 - Red Soxs Reunion

Wednesday was a standard day at work except for one awkward conversation –throughout which I was trying to decide whether to be flattered or insulted? Rumor spread to one of the bankers in the dealing room that I had a double degree. As I was routinely carrying out my rounds trying to be as discrete as possible, he proceeded to ask why I was in the mailroom with a double degree? A very logical question that wouldn’t have been awkward other than the 50 other people in the dealing room who seemed to take an immediate interest in my response…On the one hand, people are talking about the fact that I’m a bright guy and for it to spread to some random senior investment banker is quite flattering…On the other, the question highlights the fact that I’m settling for something that may be considered lower than standard, which is somewhat embarrassing for a headstrong read head like myself. I explained to him the terms of my traveling visa and the requirement to change companies every three months which is not overly convenient for most companies in any career related field – hence the bottom rung of the ladder – the mailguy. That afternoon I had a couple of beers with my direct supervisor who was leaving for the United States the following weekend for 1 month. He was meeting a small group of people in Sydney who worship the Boston Red Socks and I joined in for a few drinks – man these people know their sports trivia! They follow the games online and listen simultaneously to the radio broadcast. Mark was introduced to baseball his last visit to the States and is making a point this time to go back to Boston to catch a few games and pass through the hall of fame – now that’d a devoted fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home